That Feel-Good Factor

GROUND ZERO , BEIRUT, LEBANON
Ignore the pessimists and deniers . These days, even cautious optimism is becoming a thing of the past. People have never been more optimistic about the historical changes taking place in Lebanon.

I landed in Beirut a few days ago after an absence of 9 months.
After passing by Hariri's shrine, I was busy soaking up news: I read the dailies, talked with family and friends, watched the lengthy televised debate in parliament, attended an AUB alumni Memorial service for the Late prime minister, and came up with this conclusion: the people are starting to see the full half of the glass.
The politicians made the move from let's-kick-Syria's-Ass to let's-see-how-to-build-our-future-together. A very visible power shift was on display in the parliament today. Opposition MPs were trying with difficulty to hide their triumphalism and the loyalists are starting to sound like toothless tigers.
The people are jubilant: The Syrians have officially left, the security apparatus is collapsing like a cards house, Two major opposition politicians are joining their embittered constituencies after an absence of more than 10 years (one was exiled and the other imprisoned) and the elections will be taking place starting May 29th.
My grandmother said it best: God has answered my prayer that I don't die before I see the back of the Syrians.
Of course, critics will dismiss this and maintain that the changes are cosmetic and that the corrupt politicians are still the same. But this is no magic, this is politics and the pace of change is already very fast and hard to manage.
The changes taking place are very significant and consequential, and if you still don't believe me, come to Beirut...







<< Home