This blog is no longer updated. It has moved here. From now on, please use www.beirutspring.com only. Also the feed for the new blog is here

Sunday, June 12, 2005


The Art of Losing


There is a big missing element in the Lebanese democracy: The Concession Speech.

Just moments ago, I spoke with George W. Bush and congratulated him on becoming the 43rd president of the United States[…]
I offered to meet with him as soon as possible so that we can start to heal the divisions of the campaign and the contest through which we just passed. […] I say to President_elect Bush that what remains of partisan rancor must now be put aside, and may God bless his stewardship of this country.
Let me say how grateful I am to all those who supported me and supported the cause for which we have fought […]
I know that many of my supporters are disappointed. I am too. But our disappointment must be overcome by our love of country.
And I say to our fellow members of the world community: let no one see this contest as a sign of American weakness. The strength of American democracy is shown most clearly through the difficulties it can overcome.
Al Gore, U.S. Presidential Candidate, Concession Speech, December 13, 2000

When the results of today’s polling come out, some people will have done better than others. Some people will become members of the parliament, some, who had high expectations will not.

The best way to come out as a winner, even if one loses the election, is to deliver a concession speech. An acceptance of the will of the people will be highly regarded in the next elections and will be a proof that the politician is a real democrat.

A concession speech usually thanks the supporters of the campaign, accepts the victory of the opponents, promises to work closely with them and promises to listen more carefully to the people next time. The most important thing in a concession speech is to stress that although one has lost, “our democracy” has won.

I hope this tradition makes it to Lebanese politics. With all the accusations and counter accusations we’re hearing, we really need it.