This blog is no longer updated. It has moved here. From now on, please use www.beirutspring.com only. Also the feed for the new blog is here

Friday, July 22, 2005


Lebanonized


Tabbouleh in the Jungle

West Africa has always had a strong Lebanese contingency; we have been around for the last 120 years. But never have I felt the strong cultural Imperialism trace we left until the day I drove into what I thought was the middle of nowhere in Ghana.

It was a peaceful place away from civilization, with a nice beach and your regular palm trees and fishing boats. I was hanging out with a bunch of friends from The US, Canada, Italy and Ethiopia and we were getting hungry. So we searched around and found a nice little African hut with the word “Restaurant” clumsily written on a wooden board.

We got in and got our “menus”: Regular sheets of paper on which the food names were handwritten. I didn’t know what to feel when I saw the big two food sections: “Local Dishes” and yes “Lebanese Dishes”, was it pride? Maybe. But it was mostly astonishment.

The reason why I’m remembering this incident now is because I read this piece of news. It seems the Lebanese want to move into something bigger than cultural imperialism after all.