The Man Who Won't Be President

The best candidate for the Presidency is also the one with the least chance at it

Poor Chibli. He works hard, he has great ideas, a great CV, a website with a “Presidential program” and an actual political strategy. (For instance, this morning, he tried to boost his Arabist credentials in the Daily Star and Almustaqbal). He has international exposure, he is campaigning for “free and fair Presidential elections”, he's trying real hard and he has it all.
Well almost..
Anyone who heard Samir Geagea’s speech on April 25th knows that we need a “front class,” “political,” and “powerful” President. I don't know about you, but it didn't sound like he had Chibli Mallat in mind.
Mr. Mallat can not even be proposed as a neutral candidate; he is too close to the Future Movement, and the Sunnis shouldn’t be seen to control the whole country. (Read my previous post on why the system is messed up)
Yet another too-good-to-be-true situation in Lebanon. I support and admire you Chibli, but I think you’re wasting your time.







<< Home