This blog is no longer updated. It has moved here. From now on, please use www.beirutspring.com only. Also the feed for the new blog is here

Wednesday, August 23, 2006


Lebanon Tidbits


Various small stories from inside Lebanon.

After the announcement that all flights bound for Beirut will pass through Amman (a not-so-comfortable trip according to hilal), Stavro, a Lebanese Caricaturist, decided that it’s time for a MEA (Middle East Airlines, Lebanon’s flag carrier) rebranding. Inspired by Bush, The new name would be: New Middle East Airlines.



Speaking of the MEA, Ex P.M Salim El Hoss declared: we’d rather keep our airport closed than having our planes checked by the Israelis. It seems Mr. Hoss doesn't have loved ones abroad.

=====

The billboards below are seen all over Tripoli. Shabab el Azm are Najib Mikati’s answer to Hariri’s Shabab al Mustaqbal.

Tripoli is in the enviable position of having three billionaires (in order of wealth: Saad Hariri, Najib Mikati, Mohammed al Safadi) competing for our hearts and minds (and pockets I would add). The three of them are now busy fixing the Northern bridges, two of them from their own pockets.

I admit I’m a sucker for Mikati but I think “Amalouna La Shifa’a minhou” is a great line. (Translation: There’s no cure for our hope.)


===

Albalad reported that Future TV no longer refers to the Syrian President as “Bashar Al Assad”. They now speak of “Bashar Assad” (spot the difference). I will watch tonight’s bulletin to double check. I can’t understand why they’re doing this. Perhaps a way to further disrespect him?


===

Another very small piece of news. A Lebanese newspaper has written an article about me. Only check it if you're a die-had fan of The Beirut Spring ;)

(Comments are moderated. A free exchange of ideas is welcome, but some comments will be removed. please read policy here. If your comment does not immediately show, it's probably because I haven't read it yet or because it doesn't comply with the policy, please wait and don't re-post.)