The Battle is not easy..
(sorry for Annahar editorialist Sarkis Naoum for using one of his editorials' title)
It is easy to be caught up in complacency, after all, the signs seem to be good: a fallen government, an authority on the defensive and the world's powers behind our cause.
However, a premature Euphoria is the last thing we need now..
Annahar reported today the the Syrians are enforcing their positions around Beirut, The (ex) interior minister, Mr. Franjyyeh, seems to be genuinely confident of the Syrian's powerhold, and Hizbollah can still play the numbers game and unleash tens of thousands of people in a 'counter demonstration'.
How should the Lebanese opposition deal with that?
To start, they should be very unified (and for that I applaud Mr Jumblat's statements yesterday that the opposition's unity is more important than his personal views, a selflessness that is rarely seen in Lebanese politics), The Christian right-wing section of the opposition should utter more frequently their attachment to an Arabic Lebanon to keep the Sunnis on board (I wonder how the Sunnis would react to a Samir Geagea presidency for instance), but Cardinal sfeir and the council of bishops are doing a great job towards achieving that; also the Sunnis should always show that they are Lebanese first and foremost (And the Future TV. Campaign -for Lebanon- and -I love Lebanon- is going a long away in achieving that)..
They should show some flexibility; the Lebanese all want a free Lebanon, but the opposition should be careful not to antagonize political figures in the 'mouwelet' who have genuine political support (I applaud the moves towards hezblollah, I wonder where the talks are with them), and I'm not talking about fake leaders like Omar Karami...
Finally, and I hope they don't need that, they should have a contingency plan in case of another assassination, the Syrians can be dangerous (especially when the regime's own existence is at stake), they should have a take-place leader that is kept a secret and who's willing to assume responsibility for steering the opposition in a calm manner..
So far, the opposition are playing the game very well and are threading carefully, hope things remain that way and let's see how this power struggle ends..







<< Home