This blog is no longer updated. It has moved here. From now on, please use www.beirutspring.com only. Also the feed for the new blog is here

Saturday, August 05, 2006


Outside The Flock


Chibli Mallat, A Lebanese Presidential candidate who has ties to the March 14 anti-Syria movement, wrote a piece in the New York Times that can be considered a break-through.


He describes this war as one between the Lebanese Shias and Israel and he seems to have a tacit approval of what Israel is doing “against Hezbollah.” The most important part of his piece however is his critique of the Lebanese political class’ discourse:
I do not find it healthy to carry on with a dual language, which is deafening in most Lebanese political circles — wishing wholeheartedly for Hezbollah’s military defeat, while professing in grand speeches a desire for unity. I feel strongly about the suffering of my Lebanese compatriots, as I do about Israelis’ suffering by-and-large. And I take pride in non-Shiites opening their homes and offering hospitality to the refugees. I prefer, however, to voice my open disagreement with Hezbollah over the start of the war and the way it is being prosecuted. I think that candidness in times of violence and death on such a scale is needed, and that the narrowing of the gap between private and public talk in politics will yield a far healthier result in due course, and will help accelerate a workable cease-fire.
Chibli's thinking represents what today is the biggest yet most prevalent taboo in Lebanese non-shia Society: an unexpressed desire for Israel to defeat Hezbollah.

So is Chibli's comming out an act of courage or an act of treason? You decide

(Comments are moderated. A free exchange of ideas is welcome, but some comments will be removed. please read policy here. If your comment does not immediately show, it's probably because I haven't read it yet or because it doesn't comply with the policy, please wait and don't re-post.)